Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.
-Helen keller

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Nadia and Galia

Just about everyday on our way to school we pass the sweetest little Babushka selling rag dolls.  My host mom told me that rag dolls are the national doll of Ukraine and they are sold everywhere.  

Well I've wanted one to take home for a really long time and yesterday we decided we knew enough Russian that we could buy one from the sweet Babushka by the metro.  This sweet Babushka now has a name.  Her name is Nadia and her friends name is Galia.  Yesterday Alyssa and I went up to Nadia and said, "Skolka" which means how much.  Nadia then went off in Russian all about the dolls.  We couldn't tell what she was saying and she quickly picked up that we didn't understand what she was saying.  Insert monkey sign language here.  We proceeded to do that for a while and then we pulled out a pen and a piece of paper and again said "Skolka" and motioned for her to write down how much.  I payed my money for my doll and look at her while pointing to the doll and I said, "Ya Lublu" which means I love.  Her sweet face lit up and then Alyssa told her in Russian they were beautiful.  At this point she had the biggest smile on her face.  The next thing I knew she was picking up one of the little dolls and giving it to me and one to Alyssa.  She wouldn't let us pay for the little ones she just wanted us to have them.  

We continued to talk to her in Russian we told her we were Americans and that we were teachers here in Ukraine.  My Russian teacher had taught us how to say both of those phrases and if we're being honest with our lives I never in a million years thought it would be useful but yesterday it was.  In Nadia's monkey sign language we then understood that she watches us walk by everyday.  After a few more minutes of monkey sign language we said, "Das Vidanya" which means goodbye and headed to school.  Alyssa and I were so proud of ourselves and so happy about the new friend we had just made.

Here is a picture of the rag doll I bought yesterday and the cute little one that she gave me.  I'll always cherish it!


Today we went back to say hello and to buy a few more rag dolls.  She was so excited to see us!  She even gave us hugs!  It was the sweetest thing!  Today we also met her friend Galia.  We did a little more monkey sign language and she asked us our names and in turn we asked them theirs.  Then as people would walk by she would stop them and tell them we were Americans and we didn't understand what they were saying.  It was so cute!  She told us she wants us to come back and we probably we will.  Who knew that you could make friends without speaking the same language!

Nadia and Galia.


I love Ukrainians!!  Before I got here many people told me that Ukrainians were mean.  I feel like they all got it wrong.  Ukrainians are the most giving people.  I can't even tell you the number of times I've gotten on the bus and watched men give up their seats to women and the many times that has been done for me.  They also continually look out for each other.  My host mom is always feeding people and people are always giving her food and flowers.  You walk around the streets and Ukrainians will have straight faces but it's not because they are mad or mean it's just a cultural thing.  But when called upon they would do anything for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment